Monday, March 14, 2011

New favorite drink

I've recently fallen in love with the Michelada, a horrible sounding concoction that is surprisingly delicious.  I first encountered Micheladas in Mexico a few years ago but hadn't tried one again until I saw them on the menus here in Nicaragua.  There are many varations to the drink but they usually include some or all of these ingredients:

Beer, salt, lime, pepper, chili, worcesteshire sauce, tomato juice, clam juice, and hot sauce (Personally I can do without the clam juice).


 Served in salt rimmed glasses, the Michelada is Latin America's answer to the Bloody Mary.  Touted as a hangover cure, this savory drink doesn't appeal to very many people but I've found I enjoy it quite a bit.  If you like the occasional Bloody Mary then see if a local Mexican restaurant will serve you one of these, you might be surprised.  Everywhere has their own take on the drink; at one bar the salt on the glass's rim had been doused in worcesteshire to give each sip a little more bite.  It's definitely a drink I'd like to learn to make for myself once I'm back in the States though I doubt my first few efforts will be palatable.

photo from: http://hipogrifos.wordpress.com/2007/11/07/cerveza-michelada/

2 comments:

  1. dude, the clam juice is key, for taste and curative properties.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love micheladas!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete