Sunday, January 2, 2011

Findus

Findus is a cat, a Norwegian Forest Cat, and he is huge.  It was strange meeting Findus for the first time since, when I was growing up, my family owned a Norwegian Forest Cat named Smoky.  These types of cats are related to Maine Coon Cats (of which my family has also owned several), have very long thick hair and are supposedly hypoallergenic.  As small animals in my family's neighborhood can attest, these cats enjoy being outside, are able hunters, and are very ferocious.  When I was a kid we had to deal with a lot of dead mice, birds and shrew left around the house as presents.  Fortunately, around people, Norwegian Forest and Main Coone Cats are some of the most affectionate you will find.

Lene cuddling with Findus

Findus' owners are out of town over the holidays and Lene and I are cat-sitting while they're away.  They have a great apartment a short way from Lene's and we were happy to help them out.  Being in the city, Findus doesn't have the luxury of going outside but he still routinely stalks things around the apartment, including people.  He particularly likes to attack hands and feet but fortunately he knows his limits and doesn't bite hard or use his claws when he "attacks" you.  I always forget how much I miss having animals around and it has been great taking care of Findus.  I'm looking forward to being surrounded by dogs and cats again when I return to D.C. a few days from now.

Video of Findus attacking my hand:

No comments:

Post a Comment