Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Villa Carmen


I’ve been in the Peruvian Amazon for nearly two weeks now and still have another six weeks remaining.  I’m staying in a place called Villa Carmen, a one-time farm that is being converted into a biological research station.  Villa Carmen is just a couple kilometers away from the small town of Pillcopata, the proximity of which affords Villa Carmen various luxuries not easily had in the rainforest, luxuries such as running water, electricity and even internet. 
Pillcopata during a festival
It took me a while to get here, especially since I didn’t fly direct into Cusco.  I had originally planned on taking a 24 hour bus from Lima to Cusco but the miners had gone on strike and had created roadblocks.  I’ve run into this problem before in Bolivia, where the miners would actually use dynamite on the roads when they wanted to protest something.   I gave up waiting after a few days and ended up taking a flight to Cusco before my trip to the Jungle.  It is another eight to ten hours by bus to get from Cusco to Pillcopata, though my trip was extended by a few extra hours when our bus broke down halfway there.   The ride itself is a little hair-raising (as are most bus trips through the Andes) and there were several points when, upon looking out the window, I was faced with vertical drops of several hundred feet and could see no more than twelve inches of space between the muddy road’s edge and the bus’ tires.   You get used to it after a few hours.  Eventually I did arrive at Pillcopata where I then made my way the short distance to Villa Carmen and was welcomed with a hot plate of food and a nice clean bed.

The main building at Villa Carmen
Villa Carmen is owned by the Amazon Conservation Association, a non-profit based out of D.C. that runs projects in both Peru and Bolivia.  Villa Carmen is a fairly new project; it has been up and running for a little over a year and still needs to work some things out until it becomes a full-fledged research station.
The camping platform
I’m here helping with the biological monitoring project that is attempting to keep track and create distribution maps of the resident vertebrates.  We do this by recording sightings, identifying footprints and by using a network of camera traps.  I’ve also been helping to put markers on the trails so that the locations of animals sightings can be more accurately recorded. 

Most of the people here speak only Spanish which was a bit of a struggle at first as I hadn’t been to a Spanish speaking country in nearly a year before I came here.  Now I’m at least able to follow what people are saying but I still have trouble joining into conversations sometimes. 

The local swimming hole

So far, the jungle is a fascinating place.  Life is absolutely everywhere and the biodiversity is incredible.  Of course, the downside of this means that most of that life can bite, sting or poke you but it is incredible to see.   I'll be posting more frequently of the next couple of weeks and I'll be sure to include some pictures of the local wildlife. 

No comments:

Post a Comment