Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Thanksgiving in Norway

Well it's a few days late, but we had an great Thanksgiving dinner on Sunday. Our hosts, Stina and Thomas, prepared an incredible meal including one of the best apple pies I have ever eaten. They had cooked up all the essentials, the turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, gravy, and some delicious sides too such as butternut squash, caramelized carrots and twice baked potatoes. I was the first American to attend one of these Norwegian Thanksgivings and I'm afraid I made the chef's a little nervous about whether or not the food would live up to an American Thanksgiving. The concern was unwarranted though, they did a spectacular job and everything was wonderful. I was happy to bring them the tradition of going around the table and saying something that you are thankful for. I've always enjoyed that tradition and I think they did too.

After slowly eating and drinking our way through the mountains of food and bottomless wineglasses we were confronted with three different desserts: the aforementioned apple pie, pecan pie, and pumpkin cupcakes. Of course we had to try all three and by the end we were all stuffed. I probably shouldn't have gone back for seconds on the apple pie but it was too amazing to pass up.

This marks the third foreign country that I've celebrated Thanksgiving in and each place been memorable in it's own way. No matter where I've been though, I've always been fortunate enough to celebrate with friends. It's never quite the same as home, but this time around it was pretty close.


Stina and Thomas' beautiful dining table:


Just about ready to start on the potatoes and the
butternut squash:


Trying to work my way through
a second plate:


Cheers everyone! That's Stina and Thomas at the head
of the table:

No comments:

Post a Comment